Autocrypt

Kevin J. McCarthy kevin at 8t8.us
Thu Aug 8 00:40:06 UTC 2019

On Thu, Aug 08, 2019 at 01:06:23AM +0200, Eike Rathke wrote:
>The new Autocrypt feature seems to work :-)
>Tried with/without overriding conventional PGP encryption and vice
>versa. Great work, thanks!

Thanks for testing it out, Eike!  It's pretty new, so I'm sure there are
still plenty of issues.

>One caveat: when enabling autocrypt=yes and starting mutt the first time
>one must ensure to not have some key push in the config, otherwise that
>interferes with the prompt about setting up the autocrypt directory.
>BTDT..

Whoops - there's one right there.  I'll fix that in the next couple
days.

>Questions remaining: it may be possible to use an already existing RSA
>key imported from the GnuPG keyring. At least I've seen such Autocrypt
>keys even with two accounts on them. Does Mutt Autocrypt support that?

Yes, today I pushed up the ability to select a key during account
creation.  It's rather fresh but I think works okay.

I also added $autocrypt_reply to turn off the "forced autocrypt" mode
when replying.  If the same key is used in both web-of-trust and
autocrypt, it may be more convenient to choose yourself when replying
rather than have autocrypt force itself on you each time.

I still need to update the documentation but will do that today or
tomorrow.

>On the other hand, would it make sense to do so? Or are there advantages
>on having separate keys per account? Apart from they can be revoked or
>changed individually.

I don't think there's anything wrong with using the same key for
multiple accounts.  Others may have opinions on this though.

The only caveat is the UID in the key would be the same.  As long as the
shared identity isn't something you want to keep hidden that shouldn't
be a problem.  Autocrypt implementations should use the header, not the
UID, to look up the correct key.

--
Kevin J. McCarthy