Feedback on ticket 146 - $reverse_realname behavior

Kevin J. McCarthy kevin at 8t8.us
Tue Jun 11 16:12:06 UTC 2019

On Tue, Jun 11, 2019 at 12:26:47PM +0200, rear1019 wrote:
>The ticket assumes that both $reverse_name and $reverse_realname are
>set. In this configuration mutt should reuse the To: header of the
>message replied to as-is in the reply’s From: header, even if the name
>is empty.

The documentation certainly says "as-is", so from that side I support
you.

However there are two other factors here, intention of the patch and
precedence.

The initial commit 8bdc339d was implemented as a modification of
existing behavior: the ability to strip out the personal ("realname")
field when $reverse_name is set.  The commit message is short, but I
imagine the idea was to *not* accept the realname field, but still have
the ability to reply using the address sent to.  The inverse is not the
same thing as *always* using the realname field even if missing.

A further issue is the age of the option and behavior: the commit was
made in March 2000.

If I adjust the documentation, I doubt there will be any complaints.
But if I adjust the behavior, it is almost certain some users will
notice and complain vociferously.  So, after more thought, I am leaning
toward adjusting the documentation.

Obtaining the behavior you desire can be accomplished by unsetting
$realname and instead putting the name inside the various $from / my_hdr
settings you use.

--
Kevin J. McCarthy