Feedback on ticket 146 - $reverse_realname behavior

Kevin J. McCarthy kevin at 8t8.us
Sun Jun 9 14:45:11 UTC 2019

On Sun, Jun 09, 2019 at 01:02:25PM +1000, Cameron Simpson wrote:
>That isn't what I want, and I have $reverse_realname=no in my own
>config. But I agree with the change.

Thanks.  I appreciate feedback before approaching tweeks to old behavior
like this.  I'll wait a few days to give others time to respond before
making the change.

>Now I just need to see why my config doesn't do what I desire - insert
>my preferred $realname in my replies...

The $realname is not used unless the From header is missing the name
part.  When $reverse_name is checked, if it finds a match, the personal
part will be cleared out (unless $reverse_realname is set).

But if it doesn't find a match, then later on the value of $from or a
my_hdr will be used.  If those have a name part, they will disable the
$realname setting, yet further below.

The flow is pretty complicated, and I get confused looking at it
everytime.  I added a section to the manual
<http://www.mutt.org/doc/manual/#compose-flow> but I'm not sure if it
helps.

--
Kevin J. McCarthy