version.h rebuild change in stable

Kevin J. McCarthy kevin at 8t8.us
Sat Jun 1 14:08:32 UTC 2019

On Sat, Jun 01, 2019 at 02:16:24PM +0200, Vincent Lefevre wrote:
>On 31May2019 17:36, Kevin J. McCarthy <kevin at 8t8.us> wrote:
>>On Fri, May 31, 2019 at 11:19:27PM +0200, Vincent Lefevre wrote:
>>>How about using AM_CONDITIONAL in configure.ac, setting a variable
>>>GNU_MAKE when GNU Make is used (based on "make --version" output)?
>>
>>That might be a workable idea.  I worry about making assumptions about
>>the 'make' program that will be used, though.  It's possible the user
>>will invoke another make program outside of the search path, in
>>certain environments.  Or am I just being too paranoid... :-)
>
>There would be a problem in practice only if the user has GNU make
>in his search path, but chooses later to use a different make. But
>why would he do that?

The OpenBSD developer indicated in the ticket he had access to GNU make
too.  Sometimes people have surprisingly convoluted environments.

>Anywway, changing the version of "make" after
>configure is not supported by the configure script, which already
>has:

Okay, that resolves my fear.  You can override which one by setting MAKE
during configure, but otherwise it uses the one found in the search
path.

Your proposal sounds fine to me.  I can look into this in a few days,
but I have a few post-release issues to deal with first.  If you or
anyone else wants to submit a patch, please feel free.

--
Kevin J. McCarthy