bright colors with GNOME Terminal / 256-color terminals

Vincent Lefevre vincent at vinc17.org
Tue Dec 18 12:40:33 UTC 2018

On 2018-12-17 12:45:22 -0800, Kevin J. McCarthy wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 17, 2018 at 03:41:36AM +0100, Vincent Lefevre wrote:
> > If one chooses to support "bold" for terminals with >= 16 colors,
> > I think that instead of "boldbright", the "bold" prefix would be
> > sufficient, because when the bold attribute is set, adding 8 or
> > not to the color number does not seem to produce different results
> > (I've tested various terminals). In short, one would use:
> >
> > #colors      < 16     >= 16
> > bright      A_BOLD     + 8
> > bold        A_BOLD    A_BOLD
>
> That sounds reasonable.  I'm attaching a possible patch - does that look
> like what you are thinking?

Not tried yet, but...

> Since "bright" was mis-named, I don't see a way to change things without
> affecting older users, but it's easy enough to add a "bold" prefix too.

With the suggestion I've just done in my reply to Derek, I can
propose for foreground colors:

#colors      < 16     >= 16
light       A_BOLD     + 8
bright      A_BOLD    A_BOLD    (as currently)

and for background colors, both "light" and "bright" would do a + 8
when COLORS >= 8, and nothing otherwise.

Mutt currently has (this was introduced in the initial revision,
in 1998):

      /* A_BLINK turns the background color brite on some terms */
      *attr |= A_BLINK;

This appears to be for rxvt. I think that this should be removed,
as in xterm at least, this enables blinking. And rxvt users can
switch to 256 colors (this is the default, at least under Debian).

--
Vincent Lefèvre <vincent at vinc17.net> - Web: <https://www.vinc17.net/>