invert the "abort-noattach" question

Kevin J. McCarthy kevin at 8t8.us
Fri Nov 2 17:08:30 UTC 2018

On Fri, Nov 02, 2018 at 11:58:57AM +0100, Daan van Rossum wrote:
> The abort_noattach feature that was added in mutt 1.10 is useful but
> counter-intuitive.  You expect a "do you wish to continue" question
> and automatically answer "N", which results in accidentally sending
> the email without attachment.
>
> I learned to be really careful with this question now, but wondered if
> it is a good idea (or even still possible) to invert this question so
> other users don't run into this as well.

Unfortunately, there is more precedence to the feature than the 1.10
release.  It was pulled from a Debian patch, and has also been in
NeoMutt for a while.  So, while I'm sympathetic, I think it would cause
more turmoil to reverse the behavior.

You do have a good point about the inconsistency with the prompts
though.  Looking at other quadoptions it's split down the middle which
answer aborts potentially undesirable behavior:

With these you answer "yes" to stop:
abort_noattach
abort_nosubject
abort_unmodified
postpone

While with these you answer no:
delete
pop_delete
print
quit

The upside is the first four all have to do with message composition, so
generally choosing "yes" during message composition is the safe answer!

For your case, you may want to try setting $abort_noattach to "yes", and
then adding a 'Y' macro to override:

macro compose Y '<enter-command>set abort_noattach=no<enter>\
<send-message><enter-command>set abort_noattach=yes<enter>'

--
Kevin J. McCarthy