mutt/Exchange imap timeouts; patch for mutt_wait_filter()

Kevin J. McCarthy kevin at 8t8.us
Sun Sep 16 01:33:29 UTC 2018

On Sat, Sep 15, 2018 at 07:33:21PM -0400, John Hawkinson wrote:
> > Peeking in the function myself, in the "normal" case where the mailcap
> > contains a '%s', Mutt calls mutt_system(), which would send keepalives.
> > However, if the mailcap entry is missing a '%s' filename specifier, I
> > see Mutt instead pipes the message on stdin uses the filter code.
>
> It seems to be slightly more than that, like if "use_pager" is true;

Yup, but the use_pager case is for copiousoutput entries, which are
rendered in the pager.  Here I was concerned with external viewers.

> > The patch looks fine, but I wonder if we need to apply this hammer to
> > every filter.  Filters are (supposed to be) short lived and produce
> > output back into Mutt for display; I think this may be the only case in
> > the code where we a using it to launch an external program for
> > interaction.
>
> It seems to me that while filters are supposed to be short-lived, they
> may not always be, and in the cases where they are short-lived, this
> won't make much difference. (Counterargument: messing with signals is
> dicey and should be avoided any more than is strictly necessary).

Yeah, I don't like to add in the extra timeouts all over the place if
it's not really necessary.  But maybe you're right, I'll think about it
when I have more time this week.

> > Perhaps it would be better to just adjust the "is_pipe" case for
> > mutt_view_attachment().  Please give me a few days to look into that
> > first.
>
> Err, the "use_pipe" case.

Sorry yes, (!use_pager && use_pipe) was what I was thinking.  I'm a bit
short on time today, so am just replying quickly.  :-)

--
Kevin J. McCarthy