QRESYNC and CONDSTORE just pushed

Kevin J. McCarthy kevin at 8t8.us
Sun Aug 12 15:40:10 UTC 2018

On Sun, Aug 12, 2018 at 12:08:34PM +0300, Consus wrote:
> On 21:00 Sat 11 Aug, Kevin J. McCarthy wrote:
> > I've just pushed CONDSTORE and (experimental) QRESYNC IMAP support into
> > master.
> >
> > If you run against an IMAP server that supports QRESYNC, I would
> > greatly appreciate help testing.
> >
> > (Note that Gmail doesn't seem to benefit from either of these
> > extensions.  Enabling CONDSTORE in fact seems to slow Gmail down.)
>
> Performance boost is a second or two on 33k+ mailbox (I use lmdb and M.2
> SSD for caching). Thank you for this patch, it improves things.

Thanks Consus!

By the way (for the list), I neglected to mention the extensions are
enabled by the config vars $imap_condstore and $imap_qresync, which
default unset.

For CONDSTORE, Mutt is only using the FETCH CHANGEDSINCE extension, not
the conditional store or other features.  On servers which don't include
MODSEQ in the initial UID FETCH (where it is not required), this can
result in a slight speedup due to the flags not being included.

QRESYNC can result in a larger speedup because it can completely skip
the initial UID FETCH.

--
Kevin J. McCarthy