Adding support for fetching GPG key using WKD protocol

Kevin J. McCarthy kevin at 8t8.us
Thu Jul 5 01:05:13 UTC 2018

On Wed, Jul 04, 2018 at 11:27:23PM +0200, Wiktor Kwapisiewicz wrote:
> I would like to extend mutt to add fetching GPG keys over Web Key Directory
> protocol.

I asked Wiktor to post here, in order to give a broader audience the
opportunity to discuss how/if this should be implemented.

My initial idea was a quadoption to control the external query to WKD.
If no exact-address matches are initially found, consult the quadoption
(which will prompt the user if set to ask-yes or ask-no).  If yes, then:
  * For gpgme, requery with the GPGME_KEYLIST_MODE_EXTERN enabled.
  * For classic-pgp, first perform a "gpg --locate-key", and then requery.

There is an existing $pgp_getkeys_command config variable, that supports
some kinds of pre-fetching.  contrib/gpg.rc doesn't specify a value, and
I wonder if this could be repurposed?

I'd appreciate any and all input.

Thanks!

--