encrypt also to "myself": (was: My patch was not accepted in 2009)

Claus Assmann mutt+dev at esmtp.org
Mon Jun 11 12:53:21 UTC 2018

On Mon, Jun 11, 2018, Bertram Scharpf wrote:

>  It was about encryption: If I write a
> message, then encrypt it for the recipient and keep just the
> encrypted copy, I will later not be able to read what I
> wrote myself. I suggested an option that added myself to the
> recipients list when calling GnuPG or OpenSSL.

What's wrong with doing that?

gpg:
       --encrypt-to name
              Same as --recipient but this one is intended for use in the
              options file and may be used with your own user-id as an
              "encrypt-to-self". These keys are only used when there are other
              recipients given either by use of --recipient or by the asked
              user id.  No trust checking is performed for these user ids and
              even disabled keys can be used.

> should configure GnuPG to do what I want. In plain language:

"Don't duplicate functionality"

Maybe if you explain why you need this option in mutt it would help...