inotify polling in master branch

Kevin J. McCarthy kevin at 8t8.us
Sat Jun 9 00:04:21 UTC 2018

On Fri, Jun 08, 2018 at 02:14:46PM +0200, Vincent Lefevre wrote:
> I've just tried it, and there is a major regression: it now fails to
> detect new mail at all in the current mailbox, even when moving the
> cursor, viewing messages, modifying the mailbox and synchronizing!
>
> I'm using the Maildir format.

Actually, I just realized there _is_ a race condition in the maildir/mh
code I've been meaning to look into.  Once in a blue moon, I've noticed
Mutt didn't notice a new mail in the currently open mailbox.

I've had it on my todo list, but hadn't had a chance to look into it
yet.  Taking a quick peek, the mh_sync_mailbox() code touches the
context->mtime value using maildir_update_mtime(), and even has a
comment about a possible race condition.  I'm not sure what to do about
it yet, but perhaps this is what you encountered?

--
Kevin J. McCarthy