Need help with crash bug: gitlab #20

Kevin J. McCarthy kevin at 8t8.us
Wed Apr 4 14:08:57 UTC 2018

Hi Everyone,

About a week ago, Apple released XCode 9.3.  @chdiza reported a crash bug
viewing a message in the pager, when compiling both master and 1.9.4
with the new release of XCode.  The issue is at
https://gitlab.com/muttmua/mutt/issues/20

The stack trace showed this is from a __stack_chk_fail() check,
indicating some kind of stack overflow in or around display_line().

Unfortunately I don't have access to a Mac, and have been unable to
duplicate the problem with recent gcc and clang versions on Debian
testing, even after adding various flags (e.g. -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2
-fstack-protector-all -fsanitize=undefined).

I've seen some nice articles such as
<https://access.redhat.com/blogs/766093/posts/1976073> on debugging
stack protection failures, but obviously need to reproduce the problem
to make use of them.

If any of you have access to XCode 9.3 and/or would be willing to help
me investigate, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you.

--
Kevin J. McCarthy