imap uids in index

Kevin J. McCarthy kevin at 8t8.us
Sat Mar 24 20:10:38 UTC 2018

On Sat, Mar 24, 2018 at 01:40:21PM +0100, Philipp Gesang wrote:
> sometimes I need to refer to the UIDs corresponding to messages
> on the server for debugging reasons. I’ve been patching mutt for
> a while to add an index format to accomplish that.
>
> Would something like the attached patch be acceptable for
> upstreaming? Please let me know if that is the case; I’ll polish
> up the patch and resubmit.

Hi Philipp,

Thank you for sending the patch!

Technically the patch looks fine, but after thinking about it, I'm -1 on
committing this.  The UID isn't exposed in any other way, and generally
isn't interesting to users.  If we expose it in the index_format it
opens up questions of limiting, sorting, etc.

As always, I'd appreciate comments from the other devs on this.

--
Kevin J. McCarthy